Saturday, April 28, 2007

why not me?

Lord, I pray right now for Joseph and Eddie. God, these two men are just a couple of the people we talked to today on the street. Father, I confess that I have tuned my head to look away, or pretended like I didn't see men like these on the street before. God, they are your children, and it is arrogant and foolish of me to turn away. God, I mistakenly believe that they want this life. Father, I now see in their eyes, the hope that they once had, but have no longer. God, there were people on the street just like me--college degrees, family that loves them, but now they are in a place quite unlike mine. God, soften my heart. As I stood in my kitchen I had a new appreciation for the abundance of food you've given me. As I lie on my bed, I am grateful for the protection you've given me. As I drive to work on Monday, give me gratitude for the job that provides me peace of mind. God, help me to never forget that this Joseph and Eddie are my brothers. You are our father.